甜甜圈donut in taipei

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Three weeks into the job: La New & staking out at the tax department


Three weeks into the job....
From the uncertainty of working in a foreign company, now everything has become a routine.

I wake up to the sound of Super Junior's Sorry Sorry, only to hit the snooze button five times before I finally crawl out of bed. Wash up, get dressed in 10 minutes, scramble out to the nearby convenience store to get my breakfast comprising of a corn and ham sandwich and a carton of fresh milk. Beat the morning crowd at the MRT station, get off three stops later and make it just in time (ok before 9am) into the office. Sit at my desk, use the computer to check my email, chat online and blog; while I look over my back to check if there the reporter I'm assigned to runs out.

Today I followed the petite Yun Wei and cameraman Qiu Ming to a La New press conference. Went to the opening of the Taiwanese brand's flagship store which had a huge moutain model with hip-shaking teddy bears and dolls on it. (The brainchild of the CEO who loves to climb mountains) Later we were chauffeured to their SPA (sadly only for ) a look. 满轻松的assignment
But later the reporter received (an order) a call to stakeout the Tax department near our office to interview Wang Wen Yang. The reporter had to go back to the office to rush out her news clip so the duty was passed on to the cameraman and me. Wait for about 2 hours with cameramen and reporters from other stations. Some of them were already there at noon!
As time passed by, the reporters got called back by their respective TV stations, then I was the only reporter left. Before I came I asked the reporter what questions I should prepare, she said just shove the mike and the other reporters will do the asking. Oh my who would have thought there would come a time where I was the only reporter left. Thank goodness someone had a list of questions. I killed time by memorizing the four questions on the list.

When the shutters came down at 530pm, the man in question was no where to be seen. I kinda guessed he would get his secretary to do his taxes for him. But oh well in the dog-eat-dog media world here you can't leave anything to chance... brrr the consequences you will face if your competitor gets a scoop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home