甜甜圈donut in taipei

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Happy in Taipei

Armed with our 悠游卡 YiQi & I headed down to 公馆,西门町and 士林夜市 over the first three days that we were in Taipei. Better make full use of our time before school gets into full swing.

公馆 & 西门町
Basically 公馆 & 西门町are like Bugis in Singapore. Just more variety, more boots and very well dressed girls. None of such dressing wld be accepted in our sunny island. Furry caps, boots, scarves.. I used to admire these Taiwanese girls for being able to dress up so fashionably. But now I know why.. it's really freezing here. (Though some ppl can get around in shorts and long socks. Can't imagine) I wish the weather wld turn just slightly warmer so that I don't need to look like a Ba Zhang with my many layers of clothes.

Being all touristy we were taking photos at various spots. One of my favs is the photo taken in a hair accessories shop (top left corner) - we get to seat in a photo frame & pretend to be ladies of leisure. Wouldn't have dared to do it by my dear gung ho fren YiQi is all ready to take photos anytime anywhere!! (Right??!!)

Managed to get some bargain buys from 公馆 - a white furry cap and a pair of long track pants (pink of course!). Cost me around S$12. The best part is I saw the same cap in 西门町 and it cost much more. Yesh sense of achievement!!

Dinner was taken at 西门町's famous 阿宗面线. There are no tables so everyone just stands around eating from their bowls. It's quite a feat to take the shot (in the middle) coz we had to balance our bowls and barang barang. Tada!

士林夜市
I think most of you would have heard of the famous tourist attraction -士林夜市. It's split into two sections- food and shopping. Unlike Singapore's pasar malam, most of 士林夜市's shops are housed in shops not makeshift stalls as what I expected to see. Got a great bargain from a makeshift stall - two long sleeved blouses for NT600 (S$30). The stallholder gave me the discount coz she was "on the run" from the police. I witnessed two police checks while I was there. Really amazing to see how fast all themakeshift stall holders packing up and setting up again. I mean half the time it's so super obvious that they'll reappear but I guess the authorities close one eye. For me, as long as there's a bargain I'm fine with anything. Ohhh I thought I would gorge on the food but I ended up sharing half a 鸡排 with YiQi. The 鸡排 is really good crispy but not oily. No wonder there's such a long queue.

Just as we were about to leave we saw a sign for Tarot Card reading (the lady in the photo is the "fortune teller") According to her everything will go well for me during my stay in Taiwan hmmm...hopefully. Though I'm down with a flu now :(

Stay tuned for more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home