甜甜圈donut in taipei

Friday, March 14, 2008

"三顾士林"

Yesterday I didn't have my BJ lesson coz we're having workshops this week, so after BMW in chinese, I met Yu Jun for a workout at the gym. According to the meter on the threadmill I burnt 500 calories. At first I was thrilled but after thinking carefully I highly suspect I forgot to reset the settings of the previous person. :( On the way to the gym, happened to chance upon a magic show. The kids were glued to every move of the magician (whom I assume is a student). See for yourselves....





I headed back to hostel 9 where I met the auntie on duty. Haha think I stood there for about 10mins listening to her tell me abt her life. But it was pretty enjoyable. So far she's my fav auntie. She was very helpful to me when I first arrived. :)

At 4pm I met my Singapore Khakis to go to Shi Lin for the third time. Think I'll never get tired of these night markets. The first two trips were more for shopping, but this time I told myself it was FOOD GALORE!! Don't salivate....

大肠包小肠
Chinese sausage & pickles wrapped in glutinous rice. Pretty filling snack coz of the rice. But I still prefer sausage on its own.

“哦阿”煎 Oyster & Prawn Omelette

Finally tried the famous “哦阿”煎(I'm not sure how it's actually written). Omelette with flour, prawn, oyster & covered in sweet sauce. Think I'll just stick to good ol plain omelette. (Cheese & Sausage would go well with it)


肉串

We saw a lot of people queueing at this stall. And as typical Singaporeans of course we had to check it out. It was a stall selling kebabs of sorts. They were selling it for "一口10元" . In my mind floated an image of the stallholders literally feeding the customers. It was one small bite sized kebab for NT10. With my natural herd mentality instincts, I queued up. Don't you think it looks juicy and savoury in the photo above....


I look so blissful not knowing the taste that awaits me. Oh my goodness, thinking that it was really bite sized, I put the whole thing in my mouth. The next thing I knew was a horrible 呛taste that attacked my mouth. I think it was the leek!! My whole mouth was on fire. Words can't describe what happened. Shu Hui was teaching me the tactics of how to "manoeuver" the kebab in my mouth. But I just couldn't!! I could only shake my head helplessly. Then it was Yiqi to the rescue! She gave me a paper bag to spit the whole thing out. Lesson learnt: don't take signs literally. 一口 doesn't mean you gobble everything up in one mouth. And try foreign food with care.

After the scare with the kebab, I decided to stick to sth familiar. My fav sausage!!

小腊肠

That about concludes my Shi Lin food tasting trip. Didn't really do much shopping. Bought a few presents for friends and family. Oh and I bought a comfy seat cushion for my cold metal chair. No prizes for guessing what colour it is.
More snacks greeted me when I returned to my room. My roomie Vivian Zifu is such a dear. She bought Koala Biscuit after I treated her to Hello Panda the day before. O and she threw in a very luxurious looking packet of lotte biscuit.


Sweet treats from Zifu
Having good roomies really makes my stay in Taiwan a joy. Speaking about being a good & considerate roomie, I'd better stop blogging and go to bed. Coz both my roomies are asleep, plus Zi Fu has a test tml! Good luck Zi Fu! Good night everyone!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home