甜甜圈donut in taipei

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Dark Room

I'm on a massive blogging spree. Better blog whilst I can coz our school workload is pretty much zero... Well had to do our very first assignment for Basic Still Photography. I was dreading doing our very first homework in who know's how many months, plus doing something I have no idea at all. But to my surprise, I pretty much enjoyed it and wanted to do more Sunprints and photogramas. (However, the film costs money so...)

When I first entered the dark room yesterday, it was pretty scary coz you have to go thru 3 layers of curtains. So it's almost pitch black in between the curtains. The first thing that came to my mind when I pushed the curtains aside was- horror movie!! The red lighting reminds me of those movies where the villian attacks the protagonist from behind and the next thing you know its blood splats all over. Would be pretty freaked out if I had to do my prints all alone. Thank goodness Shu Hui and Yiqi were with me. But the three of us were pretty much clueless as to what to do. Have to thank the helpful 助教 and 学姐 for patiently guiding this three blur exchange students.

We were there around 10 +, the 助教was shocked that we were even earlier than him. He said "oh you don't have the habit of sleeping late like us Taiwanese"... haha I guess he didn't know that we didn't really have much of a choice coz we had lessons in the afternoon. And knowing us we would take at least 2 hours to figure it out.

Went about doing our own prints. Omg.. being the kiasu Singaporean I didn't believe Shu Hui that a brief exposure to light was sufficient. So Gwen flooded her film with light and tada... got a totally black film. :( So had to redo the first print.

Living in a hostel really makes you stretch your imagination coz you have to make do with whatever items you have. My favourite piece is of my hand holding my star. The rest of my works showcased my S hook, accessories, pencil etc (not very experimental or artistic). My only regret is not controlling the light properly. Should have experimented with different angles and not shown so much light. Coz my works pretty much remind me of X-ray prints. My sunprints as our teacher calls it is 奶茶. So you can imagine that it's a much lighter shade.
After finishing our works, the three of us went on a camera taking spree. We were trying to take horror movie photos but Shu Hui and I pretty much gave up. Kudos to Yiqi for being the most ghostly (JKjk but you said it urself mah...haha)

Can't wait for our next lesson in the dark room... now I know why ppl fall in love with photography. The anticipation that fills you as you wait for your prints to develop... but along with it comes disappointment. I hope I'll get the hang of it soon.


In aprons
自拍

The four trays - the developer, stopbath, fixer and water. Had fun dipping my prints in the trays of chemicals. Made me feel like a pro.

Shu Hui's masterpiece. Don't you think the outline of the cubicle falls nicely to form a photo frame?


Taaadaaa.. my works of arts. The one on the most right hand corner is my favourite. I call it "A star in my hand" (ok I know no creativty... any takers for naming my work)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home